Teeth are designed to last a lifetime but unfortunately this is not always the case; teeth can be knocked out in an accident, there are times when a tooth must be extracted due to excessive decay and gum problems can cause tooth loss as well.
Losing one or more teeth can disrupt your quality of life, making it difficult to speak and eat, not to mention the appearance issue. These are all good reasons why you should look into dental implants.
What is a dental implant?
In the past the solution for missing teeth was either a removable denture or a bridge, both of which posed problems. An implant on the other hand is permanent; it is imbedded directly into the jaw bone. Once the titanium peg fuses to the bone it forms a stable platform which is used to support individual crowns or a denture.
Who is a good candidate for dental implants?
Generally speaking, anyone with one or more missing teeth is a candidate for implants. Those patients that opt for the procedure do so for numerous reasons:
- Long term substitute for missing teeth
- Eliminate the need for dentures
- The desire to eat and speak without difficulty
- To be able to smile without feeling embarrassed
Why are dental implants superior to other dental prosthetics?
There are many valid reasons why you should look into dental implants. They are rapidly becoming the preferred solution to missing teeth. Napter.com.au suggests why you would opt for implants over dentures or bridgework.
- They are good for life: If you practice good oral hygiene you can expect your dental implants to last for life.
- No need to involve other teeth: A bridge requires that work be done to the teeth either side of the site, when you opt for tooth implants this not the case, there is no need to potentially weaken other teeth.
When you consider that you can eat what you want in comfort, there is no reason why you should not opt for dental implants.